Tigers. And many more exotic and rare animal and bird species residing in rich forests. Temples with erotic sculptures on their walls. And then some more history and religion. Tribes claiming to be the first human inhabitants of the planet. Pristine rivers and lakes criss-crossing hilly landscapes. Some of the best hotels in the world to check in to. All waiting on a road trip on some of the finest highways in India.
That’s what the state of Madhya Pradesh (MP), located in the centre of India, has is store for you. Providing an apt setting for The Jungle Book, MP may not be busting the travel popularity charts – but that’s what makes it a must-visit destination. It’s not overrun by tourists – yet; as awareness grows, it may match or even exceed Rajasthan and Kerala in demand. Till then, go for a ride to a lesser known wonder.
COVERED IN THIS JOURNEY
* Orchha for its famed temples along the Betwa river.
* Khajuraho known for temples with erotic sculptures on the walls from the Kama Sutra.
* Panna National Park: Located along the Ken river and teeming with wildlife including tigers that have been successfully rehabilitated there.
* Bandavgarh National Park: One of the best known reserves for tigers in India.
* Kanha and Pench National Parks: This is where The Jungle Book was set.
* Satpura National Park: Home to the Sloth Bear, Leopard and Tiger besides other wildlife. One of the best parks in India known for safaris in 4-wheels, elephants, boats and on foot. The only park where you can go for night camping safari.
* Bhimbetka: Location for pre-historic rock art.
* Bhopal: Infamous for the gas tragedy that killed thousands in the early 1980s, it is a surprisingly beautiful city of lakes.
* Sanchi, Vidhisha and Gyaraspur: Known for Buddhist stupas, cave temples and other ancient monuments.
NOTE TO EDITORS
* Text / Photo Feature: Feature can be presented with detailed text within required word count or just as a photo feature.
* Photos: Any number of photos can be provided. These can be processed or RAW in any size.
* Videos: Some video clips can be produced to add to illustration.
* Features can include all or some or just one of the attractions mentioned.
* Travel Tips: These will be added to include When To Go, Accommodation, Safety, Packing List, Budget, Regulations for Game Drives etc.
* Turnaround Time: Can be provided within three days if author is not traveling with limited connectivity.
* All text, photos and videos are by Ajay Jain unless mentioned otherwise.