The North-East of India is one the last frontiers in tourism – raw, virgin and mostly untouched. This is where societies live like they have for centuries – especially their tribes with facial and body tattoos, unique dressing, festivals, culture and habitats.
But it is all going away as changes sweep in. There are not too many opportunities left to see this rich human heritage – and that is what makes the Hornbill Festival in state capital Kohima so significant. All major tribes come together to show their lifestyle and culture to the world – it is an event not to be missed by those who care about all that is rich and beautiful on this planet.
Kunzum has made special arrangements for select participants to attend the Hornbill Festival and also to live in and visit some of the villages and countryside around Kohima.
ESSENTIAL TRIP INFORMATION
* Dates: December 6 – 10, 2017. We fly to Dimapur early morning on day one and return by an evening flight on the last day. [These dates don’t suit you? Call us to organize a private tour on a date of your choosing.]
* Accommodation: You will be staying in basic hotels and homestays – the limited infrastructure in the region enables it to retain its charms.
* Travel: We fly to and from Dimapur. We travel in Innovas throughout in Nagaland, with five guests to a car.
ACTIVITIES / ITINERARY
* Day One: Land in Dimapur. Lunch at the Bamboo Resource Centre. Drive to Khonoma Village, about three hours away. Check into hotel / homestays. Dinner in the village.
* Day Two: Tour of picturesque Khonoma. Visit Thevoma Fort, Semoma Fort (the strongest fort during British rule), Merhiima Fort, British Officers Monolith, Peer Group house, Morungs etc. Admire the terraced fields of the village and go Hornbill spotting in the forests. Drive to Kohima to see the famous Cathedral funded and built by the Japanese as a gesture of giving back after the gruesome World War II. Visit the World War II Cemetery where you cannot help feeling overwhelmed reading the tombstones. Walk around Kohima town, browse local markets, and have lunch in town. Return to Khonoma Village via Jotsoma village to see the stunning view of Kohima town in the evening. Dinner and overnight at Khonoma.
* Day Three: Breakfast in Khonoma followed by drive to Dzuleke village, one of the first community based ecotourism destinations in Nagaland. Check out sustainable alder based jhum cultivation, Mithun salt licking places, Khonoma community initiated conservation site and more. Lunch at Dzuleke village. Visit Poilwa village, one of the oldest village of the Zealang Naga tribe – don’t miss out on one of the longest beds ever made and many other preserved antiques. Travel back to Khonoma for dinner and overnight stay.
* Day Four: Breakfast and check out. Travel for one hour to Kisama Heritage Village to attend the Hornbill Festival. Attend tribal dances and performances, visit the traditional houses and exhibits created by the 16 major tribes of Nagaland and experience ethnic foods and drinks. Shop for tribal handicrafts too. Experience the night bazaar of Kohima set up during Hornbill Festival only. Check in to hotel in Kohima followed by dinner.
* Day Five: Check out and drive to Dimapur for return flights.
Costs below include all local transport (Dimapur to Dimapur) in Innovas (or equivalent) with five to a car, accommodation on twin sharing basis, daily breakfast, lunch x 3, dinner x 4, Inner Line Permit, tolls, and taxes. Cost does not include flights to and from Dimapur, alcoholic beverages, laundry, shopping and any other expenses of personal nature.
* Regular Price: Rs. 27,999
* Club Kunzum Member Rate: Rs. 26,999
* Group Rate – Sign up as 3 or More: Rs. 26,999
* Available on request: Rates for children, triple sharing, single supplements etc.
FOR QUERIES, CALL A KUNZUM TRAVEL CURATOR
* Address: Kunzum Travel Café, T-49, HauzKhas Village, New Delhi 110016, India
* Mobile: +91.9650702777 / +91.9650701387 / +91.9650701365
* Landline: +91.11.26564475 / +91.11.26564476
* Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Web: http://kunzum.com
* Availability: 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. daily
You can block a seat by paying an advance of at least Rs. 15,000 as follows with the balance to be paid before trip starts
* Cheque favouring ‘Kunzum’
* Online: https://goo.gl/7hsasd
* Bank transfer (request for account information)
* Cancellation: Refund of 50% to be given if cancelled at least 30 days before departure date. No refunds will be possible otherwise but you are free to transfer your booking to anyone else.
* You are advised to carry woolens, rain protection gear / umbrellas and sturdy shoes. You may want to carry bedsheets and towels if you are very particular about these things even though you will be provided the same.