Join us on this unique expedition to Iceland where you will sit behind the wheels of modified 4WD vehicles which are specially designed for use in rough environments, in the mountains, on glaciers or in the desert. These vehicles are normally used by rescue teams, military units and police forces. Club Kunzum, in association with Adventures Overland, is offering you the chance of a lifetime. Explore Iceland in specialized super trucks where you will do all the driving. Very few people have had the opportunity to sit behind the wheels of a powerful 4×4 in one of the world’s most unique places. By joining this expedition you will be able to experience remote areas of Iceland in guided self-drive tours, travelling in cars such as those used in the BBC show Top Gear during the journey to the Magnetic North Pole.
Iceland is such a magical place that it may as well have been plucked out of a fairy tale! Look around and you will see volcanoes, waterfalls, glaciers and lava fields. We have great respect for Nature and we encourage our travellers to avoid driving over any terrain that could possibly be damaged by the vehicles.
LOCATIONS TO BE COVERED
Reykjavík, Borgarfjörður, Landmannalaugar, Rangá, Eyjafjallajökull, Thjorsardalur, Þórsmörk
PROPOSED DATES (7 Nights / 8 Days)
March 26, 2016 – April 2, 2016
WHO MAY JOIN IN THIS TRIP?
All adventure enthusiasts who want to explore Iceland in a unique way.
MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE
COST PER PERSON
Regular Price: Rs. 325,000 (Twin Sharing Basis)
Club Kunzum Member Rate: Rs. 325,000 (Twin Sharing Basis)
INCLUSIONS IN PRICE
* Accommodation (Double/Twin Sharing Basis)
- 6 nights’ accommodation on twin sharing basis
- 1 night’s mountain hut accommodation in a sleeping bag
* Meals: All meals
- Airport transfers
- Self drive truck (4 people in one truck)
- Fuel for all trucks
- Entrance ticket to ice cave
- Snowmobiling tour
EXCLUSIONS IN PRICE
* International air tickets
* Meals and drinks not mentioned in ‘Inclusions in Price’
* Insurance and documentation costs such as travel insurance, visa applications, international driving permit, etc
* Any cost arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as ill health, vehicle breakdown, land blocks, bad weather, etc
Rs. 25,000 per person minimum cancellation charge once the tour is booked.
For bookings, contact us at +91.9650 702 777 / firstname.lastname@example.org
For booking confirmation, advance payment of Rs. 100,000 is compulsory. The balance amount is payable seven (7) days prior to the travel date. All bookings are subject to acceptance of terms and conditions.
Day 1 (26 March): Arrival in Iceland
The magical land of northern lights and the midnight sun beckons you to a charming experience as you gear up to travel in specialized super trucks. Our team will teach you how to drive in different conditions of snow, airing down the tires, driving through rivers and in other off-road conditions.
* Check in to Hotel Reykjavík Centrum in the afternoon
* Dinner at Grillmarkaðurinn (The Grill Market) restaurant
Enjoy the ‘tasting menu’ for an unforgettable culinary experience
Day 2 (27 March): Borgarfjörður – Ice Cave – Kaldidalur
* We will pick you up from your hotel in Reykjavík and transfer you to the Arctic Trucks headquarters
All the vehicles will be lined up outside. As you sit behind the wheels in the specially modified super truck, you will feel its power in your hands!
* Drive west to Borgarfjörður and up to Hotel Húsafell where you will enjoy a lovely lunch before taking the big glacier truck up to the glacier
* We will then enter Langjökull glacier to explore a new attraction: the man-made ice cave, located high on Langjökull, Europe’s second largest glacier
See the hidden and beautiful blue ice in the heart of the glacier. Experience the awesome ice cap glacial environment
* On our descent from the glacier we will drive the highland road Kaldidalur to Þingvellir National Park
* End the day at Hotel Glymur where we will enjoy a 3-course dinner at the hotel’s restaurant
Day 3 (28 March): Unusual Golden Circle
* Our first stop is the historic Þingvellir National Park, home of Iceland’s ancient Viking parliament and listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site
* From there we head east towards Haukadalsheiði, following a mountain road with great views of lava fields and the Langjökull glacier
* In Haukadalur, home to the Geysir hot spring, the Strokkur geyser erupts every few minutes
This incredible hot spring spouts boiling water to a height of 35 meters!
* Next we head up to the magnificent Gullfoss waterfall
The waterfall, which cascades down into the Hvítá River, originates in the Langjökull glacier
* Next we drive all the way up to the Langjökull glacier for the snowmobiling adventure of the day!
We explore the glacier on the snowmobiles, with one person to each snowmobile
* In the afternoon we head to the upscale Hotel Grímsborgir
Have a relaxing bath in the hot tub before enjoying a 3-course dinner at the hotel’s restaurant
Day 4 (29 March): Landmannalaugar
From the Grímsborgir we will be travelling to spectacular areas, driving over a wide variety of tracks through breathtaking mountain ranges
* We start with a drive through the beautiful Þjórsárdalur valley with photo stops at Gjáin and Háifoss waterfalls, the latter being the second highest waterfall in Iceland with a height of 122m
* From Þjórsárdalur we ascend to the mountains
This is the ultimate 4X4 experience: deserted tracks, in combination with the stunning ruggedness of the surroundings, will result in an unforgettable experience
* We drive to Landmannalaugar and to its comfy mountain hut at the banks of a warm river
The extraordinary mountains that surround the hut in Landmannalaugar will leave you spellbound. After relaxing and enjoying a bath in the naturally warm waters of the river, we will enjoy a barbeque leg of lamb.
* We spend the night in a sleeping bag in the mountain hut
Day 5 (30 March): Landmannalaugar & Rangá
* In the morning we pack all our gear and proceed on a slow drive back to civilization
It will take some time to descend to the main road again, depending on weather conditions and snow
* We drive through Hrauneyjar and all the way down to Þjórsárdalur valley
We make some photo stops on the way at Háifoss waterfall
* From Þjórsárdalur we drive down to the south coast and check into the luxury Hotel Rangá
We enjoy a bath in the hot tubs and will hopefully be able see the spectacular northern lights.
Day 6 (31 March): Eyjafjallajökull – Þórsmörk – Rangá
In the morning we proceed to the base of the world famous Eyjafjallajökull volcano
* Our first stop is the Seljalandsfoss waterfall
The more adventurous travellers can take a walk behind the waterfall as it falls from the cliffs
* After driving between two glaciers on the rutted tracks and crossing some un-bridged glacier rivers, we arrive at Þórsmörk valley at the foot of Mýrdalsjökull glacier and Katla volcano. We visit the Gígjökull glacier as it crawls down the valley
* Our next destination is the black lava sand beaches
Admire the beauty and power of the North Atlantic Ocean right in front of us
* We finally stop at the Skógafoss waterfall before heading back to Hotel Rangá
Day 7 (1 April): Reykjanes – Blue Lagoon – Reykjavík
* We start the day with a drive to the Reykjanes Peninsula
We stop to take a look at the panoramic view of a beautiful volcanic landscape at Kleifarvatn Lake. The moon-like surroundings of the lake area never fail to leave a lasting impression on anyone
* Next we visit the geothermal area of Krýsuvík where we take a short walk among the boiling hot springs and explore the unique and multi-coloured hills
* We end the Iceland adventure by relaxing in the Blue Lagoon
Float in the milky waters before returning to Reykjavík city
* In Reykjavík we check in to Hotel Reykjavík Centrum
* In the evening we will dine at Fish Company, one of the best restaurants in downtown Reykjavík
Day 8 (2 April): Departure
* Transfer to Keflavík Airport in the morning for the return flight
For bookings, contact us at +91.9650 702 777 / email@example.com