Let’s go apple plucking and jamming in Thanedar, the home of apples in India. Himachal Pradesh goes red with ripe apples in August – and there is no better place to be at than Thanedar. After all, this is where apples were first grown in India. We will pluck apples, make jam and hit the nature trail. Read on for more about the trip.
[Want regular updates from Kunzum? Click here to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.]
Dates: Aug 10 – 13 / Aug 15 – 18 (3 Nights / 4 Days)
Route: Delhi – Thanedar and back.
Driving Time / Distance: 10 Hours / 466 kms approx. one way from Delhi
Drive format: A self drive holiday where guests travel in their own vehicles. Our tour leader will accompany you. If you need to hire a vehicle, we can help you with that.
What kind of a vehicle is required: Any car is suitable for this terrain.
Traveller Kit: All participants will be provided:
- A route guide.
- Hamper during drive to include soft beverages, mineral water, and munchies.
- Emergency puncture kit including air pump, jack and puncture kit.
Day 1: Depart Delhi 6:00 a.m.; Reach Thanedar around 4:00 p.m.
Day 2: Apple plucking and chutney making photo opportunities. Visit to the nearby Hatu peak at 11,000 feet (3353 metres) to admire the panoramic views of the surrounding snow-capped peaks. Walks in the forests, and picnic in the plentiful meadows. Evening interaction over bonfire and drinks. Stories and history by our host, Mr. Thakur.
Day 3: Day hike to the Tani Jubbar Lake, 6 kms (4 miles) away with a Nag Devta (Serpent King) temple around it. Visits to the St. Mary’s Church, built in 1843 (where Samuel Evan Stokes first stayed and planted apples) and the Parmjyotir Temple built by him. Film screenings in evening.
Day 4: Drive back to Delhi. Guests may choose to extend the trip and come back on their own.
Club Kunzum Members: Rs. 7,995 per person on a twin sharing basis.
Non Members: Rs. 8,995 per person on a twin sharing basis
Children under 5 (no extra bed): Complimentary
Children between 5-12: Rs. 1,200 per child per night extra
Anyone over 12 sharing room: Rs. 2,000 per person per night extra
- Accommodation at the fantastic Banjara Orchard Retreat.
- All taxes.
- All meals at the retreat.
- Packed meals for hikes.
- A Travel Photographic Workshop in Delhi worth Rs. 2,000.
- Nature Walks and other activities.
- Cost of car and fuel.
- Does not include meals during the Delhi – Thanedar – Delhi drive.
- Does not include beverages, alcohol and mineral water (purified water will be provided at hotel).
- Personal expenses, laundry, gratuity, tips.
Payment and Cancellation
- Payment may be made by cash / cheque favouring ‘TCP Media Pvt. Ltd.’ payable at Delhi.
- 100% advance required at time of booking.
- Confirmation subject to availability at time of payment.
- Cancellation charges: 50% of total amount if cancelled at least 14 days before departure date. No refund if cancelled less than 14 days before departure.
- Rain can be expected on some days in August.
- Days will be pleasant but nights can get cold.
What to Carry
- Cotton clothes for day
- Light woollens
- Shoes suitable for day hikes (trekking shoes not necessary, sturdy sports shoes are good). An extra pair might help if these get wet.
- Rain gear
- Hat and sunglasses
- Rucksack to carry water etc.
- Camera with adequate memory and battery charger
- Plastic bags / other protection for cameras etc.
- Review of Banjara Orchard Retreat: http://kunzum.com/2010/10/26/hotel-review-banjara-orchard-retreat-thanedar-himachal-pradesh/
- Feature on Thanedar: http://kunzum.com/2011/11/04/kunzum-travel-list5-thanedar-the-birthplace-of-apples-in-india/
Something more for you to consider:
And do join us for a coffee at the Kunzum Travel Cafe in Hauz Khas Village in New Delhi, India.