The Rain Country Resort sure lives up to its name: as you go off the highway at Lakkidi on the Wayanad – Calicut highway, and drive through tea estates and woods, you know you really are in rain country. As you drive into the resort, you cannot help but giving a thumbs up to the landscape and architecture of the same.
No matter how hard you try, you cannot hear a sound at Rain Country. Except the quacking of some ducks, the earliest ‘employees’ of the resort; no, they are never offered on the menu. A man-made lake adds to the feeling of calm around. A hike or a 4-wheel drive up to a hill behind the cottages gives you a 360 degree view of tropical forests around – broken only by some mobile telephony towers. Here’s more:
* Service: The staff is very courteous and helpful, ever ready to offer any assistance or information. They do a good job maintaining the place, not easy when you go splash-splash in heavy rains half the year.
* Rooms: Cottages of different designs and sizes are spread across the 22 acre (9 hectares) estate, all pleasingly designed. These are furnished with a mix of traditional and modern, and very comfortable and clean. Bathrooms are well fitted for hot and cold showers. The linen is very clean too. Sit-outs and verandahs with easy chairs are just what you need to have your tea and read a book.
* Location: As mentioned, it is secluded from the world of noise and pollution and yet easily accessible – it is just 60 kms (38 miles) from Calicut (where you also have an international airport). The setting is stunning, amidst rolling hills covered with lush green vegetation.
* Liked Best: The setting and design of cottages.
* Food Quality: Good food. You get a mix of traditional Keralite / south Indian dishes and some north Indian stuff too. Prepared in their own kitchens, it feels like light, home cooked food.
Rain Country Resorts is the place to stay when all you want to hear are some birds and just want to be with yourself.
For bookings and tariffs contact:
Kerala 673 576, India,
Tel: +91.495.2511997 / 98 / 99; +91.4936.329798 / 99; +91.9447004369; +91.9447245288
This video is available on Youtube as well.
Ajay Jain is currently on the Great Arabian Sea Drive, starting from Delhi and following the coastline all the way from Gujarat down to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Follow all updates on:
* Kunzum.com (All posts from the trip can be read here) – Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
* Twitter – @ajayjain and @kunzum. Follow us.
* Facebook – Join our Fan Page