The Tulip Garden in Srinagar, Kashmir

The Tulip Garden in Srinagar, Kashmir

[View many more images on Facebook even if you are not a member]

Want to see tulips? Here are two possible options:

1. Keukenhof Flower Gardens near Amsterdam in Holland: Over 7 million bulbs planted, best viewed for two spring months starting end-May.
2. Tulip Garden in Srinagar: Smaller by comparison, best viewed for 2 weeks starting end-March. With a breathtaking view of Himalayan peaks around and the Dal Lake below. Surrounded by gardens developed by the Mughal emperors many centuries ago.

Take your pick. I chose the latter, and would want to go back every season. The Government also organizes a 3-day cultural festival, but the plan was shelved when I was there. No regrets – decibels may not be a good idea for flowers. I spent one full morning at the garden – could have been there for hours.

Funny – if only it were not such a serious issue
I reached the tulip garden before opening hours – but was allowed in when the gardener opened the gates for a police team. They were there to scan the place for explosives – the Chief Minister was due for a visit in a few hours. They checked all the flower beds, gardener rooms, offices, kiosks, trees and subsequent visitors – except me. My rucksack and big lenses could have contained anything! Explains some past tragedies?

This trip was sponsored by TripAdvisor.in and Yatra.com.

Would you like to receive Kunzum’s weekly e-newsletter? Click here to subscribe.

30 Comments

1. Silsila – The movie starring Amitabh Bachchan/Rekha And that was first I saw tulips no matter it was silver-screen. Now thanks to you for sharing your tour And the day I reach Kashmir I am at Tulip Garden for sure. Thanks to you in-advance.

2. Bhaswati Ghosh says:

Beautiful! I can see why this place held you for hours. Breathtaking images.

3. Kavita Joshi says:

Treat for the eyes……….good job

4. Vandana Vij says:

beautifully shot Ajay…looks like the backdrop for a YR movie !! :-))
    the latter does seem an inviting option…will go there someday with my family.

5. Apala Basu says:

Beautiful… Looks exactly like Keukenhof minus the windmills…

6. Deepali Rao says:

amazing…really pretty

7. Niyeti Rana Paruthi says:

these are awesome….i have another alternative for tulip hunting – on the streets of istanbul. eheh

8. Yakang Takhe says:

beautiful pics…!!

9. Niyeti Rana Paruthi says:

i am so glad this was the finale to ur 2 month saga…as they say – saving the best for the last!!!!

10. Niyeti Rana Paruthi says:

thats always there…but atleast the milestones are being completed

11. Vidyabhushan Upadhye says:

saw your pics of kashmir.. tulips are awesome.. :)

I here are some of the tulpis i shot in Boston: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=420532&id=820570211&ref=nf

12. Ruchi Tandon says:

Amazingle beautiful !

13. Anjali Sikka says:

Seattle is USA’s Tulip country! We have the Tulip festival going on right now!

14. Vishnu Kant Gupta says:

reminds me of ‘dekha ek khwaab to ye silsile hue, door tak nigah mein hain gul khile hue…’. splendid pics ajay!

15. Rajiv Bhandari says:

Nice pics Ajay

16. Gosia Bissinger says:

like in Holland..

17. Kay Natesan says:

Lovely, lovely…

18. Hey Ajay, Awesome pics.. When I went to Srinagar in May 2008, the tulips were out of season. :(

I had recently posted my travelogue on my Kashmir visit and I would like to use one of your tulip pics in my blog if you don’t mind. Will give you due credit and a backlink obviously. Let me know.
    Here’s my post link – http://ponderingmusings.blogspot.com/2010/03/srinagar-kashmir-paradise-on-earth.html

19. Thanks Neelima. No problem, let me know which image you want to use. You may download it directly from kunzum.com / facebook. Or you want without watermark, will mail you.

20. Amazin pic..no wonder its called heaven on earth

21. Hi Hobo, Yes, it was in Silsila. I think they shot that in Holland. Do bear in mind that tulips bloom in Srinagar for only a few weeks in spring.

22. I just came across your post and was simply wow-ed by the pictures. I saw tulips like this for the first time in Turkey, which incidentally is the home of the tulip. The more I see these 5-petaled beauties, the more I want to see them. The backdrop of the Himalayas makes it quite a site. In Istanbul, I had the Bosphorus and a 1500 year old church in the background – Posted here on my blog

23. oops.. with the right link

24. Wow! Its in India.rnReally I am so surprise because I thought the tulips gardens are only in foreign country.rnNow I am looking forward to go their.

25. This year around April 20, I will be in Srinagar with my family and make sure to visit Tulip Garden – I have read your complete Travelogue and liked it. Thanks for sharing information and lovely photograph.

26. Hi Arun,

Did you make it to Srinagar? How was the experience? Would you like to join us on some of our future journeys? Sign up for FREE at Club Kunzum: http://www.kunzum.com/club.

Look forward to seeing you on Kunzum more often.
    Cheers….Ajay

27. This is very beautiful garden like Switzerland.

28. prasun gupta says:

reading your travelogue, i am feeling very excited. I am going with my wife to srinagar-sonmarg-gulmarg-pahalgam this sept. I hope to enjoy a lot there. Any tips in specific !