If you are going to Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge in Chitwan National Park from the Jungle Lodge (another Tiger Tops property in Chitwant), make sure it is by boat. The 13 km downriver journey allows you to enjoy the tranquility of the blue waters, and usually presents opportunities to spot sun-bathing crocodiles and exotic birds flying around. And locals fishing using their unique, indigenous techniques. The last mile on ground is then covered by a two-oxen cart.
The Tharu Lodge is a hidden gem in many different ways – and here are some reasons why I would make this statement:
* Architecture and Landscaping: Used making local materials and designs, giving you a sense of blending with the surrounding Tharu villages. The lawns are well manicured, with many different trees and plants you would identify with this region for a highly soothing experience.
* A home for birds and butterflies: If you are fond of birds, and want to spot different species, you need not even venture beyond the lodge. They all come to live, hop around and feed on the trees and plants in the lawns; you look around and don’t be surprised to see scores of species including Hornbills. Their naturalists and guides ensure you get all the information about the birds and butterflies in the area.
* Culture: The management arranges for traditional music and dance programs by locals – and these come across as genuine and enjoyable and not something poorly orchestrated for tourists.
* Service: Right up there – prompt and courteous.
* Rooms: Spacious, with triple beds and attached bathrooms. Very clean, with bathrooms providing running cold water all day; hot water comes at specified hours in the morning and evening.
* Location: In the buffer zone of Chitwan National Park, near the river with local villages and fields all around. Whichever direction you venture to, you can expect to have a good time.
* Amenities: Swimming pool, well stocked bar, tea and coffee when you like and snacks and meals.
* Liked Best: The landscaping and the birds and butterflies hovering all over.
* Food Quality: Excellent. They make local dishes very well, leaving you desiring for more.
Contact for Reservations and Rates
And do join us for a coffee at the Kunzum Travel Cafe in Hauz Khas Village in New Delhi, India.