Photos of the Day: Children weaving cloth in Khonoma village in Nagaland

Children weaving cloth in Khonoma Village near Kohima in Nagaland

Children weaving cloth in Khonoma Village near Kohima in Nagaland

I spotted these children in the Khonoma Village of Nagaland, located 20 km from the state capital Kohima. They were weaving cloth on the roof of their homes. The residents here belong to the Angami tribe. Scroll down for more images of these children; click on any for a larger view.

Children weaving cloth in Khonoma village in Nagaland

Children weaving cloth in Khonoma village in Nagaland

Children weaving cloth in Khonoma village in Nagaland

Ajay Jain

About Ajay Jain

Ajay Jain is a travel writer, photographer, and blogger. He has written many books, and publishes and online mag and a travel channel too. Contact him at ajay@ajayjain.com.

19 Responses to Photos of the Day: Children weaving cloth in Khonoma village in Nagaland

1. Hi Ajay, great shots, Hope you are having a great time there. Manipur next time right!

2. aniruddha says:

hey nice pictures
    i have been in nagaland, and can very well relate to the snaps..which part did you go to?

3. Rhea says:

This is CHILD LABOUR

4. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

Thanks Palin, I am hooked to the North-East. This was a short trip, but cannot wait to go back in my own car. Most likely I will drive from Delhi in Feb/March.

5. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

Thanks Aniruddha. Went to Kohima and around and Mokokchung area. Plan to go back to Mon soon – but in my own car next time. Where all have you travelled in Nagaland?

6. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

Hi Rhea, I think they were weaving this cloth for their own use – not sure if this can be defined as child labour considering the circumstances they live in. But surely they deserve a life and opportunity as any other better off children in the world.

7. Sandhya Sinha says:

should have taken photos of the final product too. would have been interesting.thanks for sharing

8. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

If I had the time to hang around, I could have Sandhya. But it did not strike me to ask if they had any they made earlier. Anyway, language was a big barrier too I could not even get them to tell me what they were making.

9. Dhruti Shah says:

These are very nice Ajay. On that note, what langauge were they communicating in? I heard people in Nagaland speak different dialects?

10. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

Each tribe has its own dialect Dhruti. And they have a problem even understanding each other. But some time back (not sure how long) they developed a hybrid language Nagamese which many understand.

11. Lol says:

Lol .. Thats no child labor… you can relate that to playing Barbies in cities

12. theja says:

thats no child labor :-[…… u should think twice before u say anything !!!!!

13. rudraneil says:

Hi Ajay, I love the photographs on your site – really evocative, beautifully done. I’m feature writer for Lounge – the Hindustan Times/Mint saturday magazine. We do a full centrespread photo essay every alternate issue – I’d love it if we could feature some of your work. Please tell me if you are interested?

14. vivo says:

for correction,in the case of this village,this is not CHILD LABOUR,in fact,kids do it for,and with fun…there is no imposition on them that they should weave ,its free will.It gives them knowledge and company with friends…thats how time pass by for about a month in a year…next season,they may pluck fruits….rni am a khonomian.

15. vibha says:

they are learning to weave on toy looms! It takes many years of practice to weave the lovely cloth that you see men and women wearing in Nagaland. Of course the finest are woven for the family. rnrnhad you walked about little more in Khonoma you would have come across young girls and women weaving for their families.

16. Ajay JainAjay Jain says:

We did walk around the whole town Vibha but saw only a few women weaving. And tried talking to them but language became a barrier – but we still hit it off well and exchanged chocolates and bananas :)

17. Devendra Patel says:

hey wonderful photograph ha……..wish u all the best dear…………

18. Deborah says:

fortunate is the person who can visit ancient cultural communities. these children are maintaining their heritage, their culture. It is otherwise a lost art.

19. akum says:

Ajay, very beautiful n skillful photography. M happy and overwhelmed to see dis pictures of Nagaland and other NE- States. But one thing this is no child labour bcoz, Weaving being an integral part of our livelihood and skill for our Naga women culturally, we teach our childrens the art of weaving. i wish u ol the very best n hopes Nagaland gives U its Best. Kuknalim.